Friday, January 18, 2019

Day 1 of my twins being in the NICU

It's been 24 hours since my c section, and I am dying to hold my baby girls in my arms. As I finally step out of my bed after being on an intense dose of magnesium, the nurse warns be to be very careful because I might still feel very dizzy and disoriented. My thought process, "I'll hop into the restroom, brush my teeth, wash my face, get my catheter removed, and go feed my babies!" The reality...go into the restroom, grab my toothbrush, and start to see a veil of black slowly creeping over my vision, and call for Erica (my nurse) who was standing right by the door. As I came to, Erica says, "I know that you're super tough, but the amount of magnesium in your system can take down a grown man! When you're really ready to get up, let me know." Now my stubborn ass in my most commanding mama bear voice, says, NOW...I am good to get up, I'm going to brush my teeth, I'm going to wash my face, you are going to remove my catheter, and I AM going to see and feed my babies."Now Erica and I have already established a great sort of girlfriends for years rapport, so instead of taking my commanding tone offensively, she says, "alright girl, you got this!"So, I proceeded to do all of the things that I have just listed, and then, I proceeded to the NICU, rung the buzzer, and the nurse let me in. As soon as I walked in, my eyes instinctively go straight to these 2 little glass beds sitting side by side. There they were Adela on the left, and Gabriela on the right. They were so incredibly small, that the newborn onesies that we brought for them looked huge. They both looked like little baby dolls. I held Adela first, her eyes were partially opened, the nurse said the they were both due to eat in about 30 minutes. After about 15 minutes, I held my Gabby for the first time. She was sound asleep. I was completely mesmerized by both of my daughters. And then... Gabby starts to cry so loundly that my ears were ringing. "Oh yeah, the nurse says, she's ready to eat!" I thought to myself, how in the world does a person that tiny have the vocal cords and lung capacity to yell that loud!" I started to feed little miss Gabby first, then a few minutes in, Adela started to wail..."oh no! How the hell in going to do this?!" I thought to myself,  "Alright, I'll call the nurse, and she'll know what to do." And thankfully, she immediately came to my aide. The lactation consultant comes in, and helps me adjust both babies on my boppy pillow which was already placed snugly around my waist. She gave me lots of helpful tips on how to position them, and we were off! A few minutes after Gabby sensed that she had company, she was NOT happy. She began to wail in sheer anger, as if to say, "back off! That's MY mom!!" As I nervously tried to calm Gabby down, Adela continues eating unfazed. The nurse finally comes in and starts to bottle feed little miss diva, (still her nickname today;) and I continue to feed Adela. Gabby continues to wail as the nurse attempts to bottle feed her. For what felt like an eternity, I continue to feed Adela, as Gabby continues to wail in the nurses lap. Finally I trade babies with the nurse, and as soon as I started to hold her, she opens her little eyes and looks at me, and stops crying. Although very frustrated and afraid, this moment was the most blissful moment since they were born. It was at this moment, that mine and Gabby's relationship began. It was the moment that she ,et me know that I am the most important person in her world. This was the moment that I made the decision to try my very best to practice patience no matter what the situation was. Gabby and Adela are now 2 and a half, and Gabby is still my commanding little diva, and Adela is still my calm, pretty keeps to herself little ball of calm. Well I'll leave you guys for now because it is time to start on my fabulous domestic duties, but I just want ALL of you to know that you are loved, and you are deserving of all the incredible experiences that life had to offer. Remember all you mommas and papas, whenever you feel like you're doing it all wrong (parenting) your kids can't imagine ANYONE that can do it better than YOU♥️In other words, you're the bees knees, and the cats pajamas! Please feel free to share your unique and hilarious stories of your mommin' experiences so that we can laugh (and maybe cry) together.





Find out how to eliminate belly fat without exercise!




No comments:

Post a Comment

http://amzn.to/1LS7NF